The baby boomers use to be referred to as our aging population. The generation x-ers are quickly entering this category. There are 76 million baby boomers over the age of 50. In 2015 the first of 82.1 million generation x-ers will reach that milestone. If you have been a bit lazy this summer, September is a great month to get your goals back on track. No matter your age, it is never too late to get your health goals back in order. Why not use September as motivation to look at where you are and what you want to become in 10, 20, or 30 years. You can make small improvements to your mental, physical, and emotional habits that will improve every aspect of your life.
Here are a few tips I have found on the internet to help you achieve that goal:
- Don’t act your age. Think about what was your best year and become that you.
- Walk like an energetic person. Do you walk slowly because you have become lazy or have a fear of falling? Make a conscious effort to take longer strides, walk with heel first.
- Stand up straight. You take years off your self by holding your stomach in, shoulders back and chin up. Practice this daily until it becomes natural.
- Smile more. It is hard to be grumpy if you are smiling!
- Put those compression socks and compression stocking back on that you have not been wearing this summer and start walking. Do this for your health as well as to meet and see people.
- Find your inner artist. Learn something you have always wanted to. Take music lessons, painting lessons or just redesign your flower beds. Set goals.
Part of improving your health is your diet. Many people have adopted the Mediterranean Life Style. This incorporates healthy food as well as daily exercise. It may take some time to shift the way you eat, but eating lots of fruit and vegetables, beans and nuts, whole grains, fish and olive oil, small amounts of meat, dairy and red wine can increase your heart health and lower your blood pressure and cholesterol. Fresh fruits and vegetables contain fiber as well as vitamins and minerals your body needs to fight chronic diseases such as stroke, cardiovascular disease and some cancers. The human body is 50 to 65% water. It only stands to reason that our go to drink should be water to keep us hydrated.
Fall is in the air and to help you begin you journey to healthy aging, Support Hose Store is offering some new Sigvaris products. Be sure to check out the “Cool Nights with Cool Colors”… the Sigvaris Soft Opaque is now available in Midnight Blue and Sigvaris Midtown Microfiber is available in Steel Gray! Check the bold new look of Midtown Microfiber in Dark Navy Stripe in 15-20 and 20-30 compression and coming soon for women Midtown Microfiber Pink Stripe! Check out the special pricing for a limited time on all Sigvaris Products.
Healthy aging is more than just staying physically healthy – it is about maintaining you sense of purpose and zest for life. So “Dance like there’s no tomorrow“. Just as getting better oxygen flow to the lower extremities by wearing support stockings improves your leg health; exercise increases the oxygen to the brain.
Here’s to Healthy Aging,