June is Men’s Health Month. It is the goal of Support hose store to heighten the awareness of preventable leg health problems for men and to encourage men to wear their support socks to prevent leg health problems.
Most men think varicose veins are just a cosmetic problem (a woman thing), however varicose veins are just as detrimental to men’s leg health as women’s leg health.
Here are some reasons men should choose to wear support socks or support thigh highs:
- Tired achy legs
- Heavy legs
- Swollen legs
- Leg pain from prolonged sitting or standing
- Dull, aching pain in legs
- Tingling, numbness, burning or cramping in the legs and feet
- Legs “fall asleep” often
- Spider veins
- Varicose veins
- Reddish discoloration of the skin
- Hardened skin on the lower leg
- Patches of dry skin on the lower leg
- Open sores on the lower leg that do not heal
- Family history of venous disease
- Travel (to prevent a deadly Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Surgery (to prevent a deadly Deep Vein Thrombosis)
- Orthostatic Hypotension ( a form of low that happens when you stand up from sitting or lying down…dizzy spell)
Men seem to be very self-conscious of wearing support socks, but many professional athletes know the value of wearing a compression sock. Can you imagine if one of the valued players of the NBA got a DVT because he did not wear compression when he traveled or had an injury to his leg? Not only would he be on out of the game, but his whole team would be put at disadvantage.
- As he travels long distances to compete, he wears compression socks. He definitely does not want to arrive at an event for which he has been training to be knocked out of competition by a blood clot (deep vein thrombosis).
- During his competition he wants to be at his best. Performance athletic socks increase arterial flow, reduce muscle strain, decreases exertion, and reduces skin temperature.
- After he has completed his competition he wants a speedy recovery, so he wears his recovery socks to help get the lactic acid out of the muscle so there is less muscle soreness.
You may be a “week-end warrior” not a professional athlete, but you can also appreciate what support socks can do for your sporting activities as well as your everyday living. Why should the you not have the same advantages as the athlete? By taking action to wear an appropriate compression garment, you could prevent more serious problems which ultimately could affect your quality of life as well as your family.
It is not just the week-end warriors that need the support socks. All males can use compression socks to increase circulation and guard against varicose veins and DVT everyday. I want the best for the males in my life. They are just as important to me as the valued NBA player is to his team. So lets encourage all the men we know to visit with their physician if they have any problems listed above and wear their support socks faithfully. Remember, you can always call one of our Certified Fitters at 1-800-515-4271 for assistance with the selection of a garment.
Hope all of our loved ones have healthy legs,