Your feet are the most worked part of your body. It is stated that the average person walks about 115,000 miles – enough to walk around the world 4 times! The human foot is an amazing and complex structure. It contains 26 bones (about one quarter of all the bones in the body), 33 joints, 107 ligaments and 19 muscles and tendons. Your feet support your body and help maintain balance. Walking is the best exercise for your legs and feet and provides the lowest impact on your joints and bones. Walking provides the exercise needed to maintain your weight, and reduce the risk of diabetes for non-insulin dependent individuals. Walking also helps in maintaining your mental well-being. Abraham Lincoln said “When my feet hurt, I can’t think.” While walking, you can assist your venous circulatory system by wearing your support socks or support stockings. We have many fine stockings available to assist you.
If you are not already wearing compression socks you might take a look at these great socks in various compressions:Don’t ignore foot pain
- Mediven Motion Sport (cushioned sole and heel to enhance wearing comfort and Clima-Comfort fiber technology wicks the perspiration from the body) for men and women 16-20 and 20-30 mmHg compression
- Juzo Silver Sole (diabetic friendly with pillowed sole) for those with foot problems such as foot odor or Athletes’ Foot in12-16 mmHg lo-cut, crew and knee styles
- Jobst ActiveWear (seamless toe with dri release for superior moisture management and 360 degree cushioned foot for greater wearing comfort) for men and women in 15-20, 20-30, and 30-40 mmHg compression
- Sigvaris 230 Cotton (25% Egyptian Cotton – 100% Cotton skin contact – Ideal for those with sensitive skin – Double-wrapped spandex yarns feel soft to the touch and provide durability) 20-30 and 30-40 mmHg for men and women.
- Jobst SensiFoot is another great sock for the Diabetic is the (non-constricting gradient compression – flat, soft, non-irritating toe seam – moisture-wicking fibers help keep your feet dry – an antimicrobial finish inhibits fungal and bacterial growth on the sock) in mini-crew, crew and knee high styles
- Sigvaris Cushioned Cotton Socks (80% supima cotton-naturally breathable, soft and hypo-allergenic – Draws moisture away from the skin – Soft, cushioned sole, heel and toe – flat,low-friction toe seams – diabetic friendly) 142 for women and 182 for men 15-20 mmHg compression
Please remember your legs and feet must last a life-time. Your feet should be checked on a daily basis for signs of cuts, bruises, calluses, bunions, fungal infections and other signs of foot problems. You should especially check for swelling as it can be the sign of more serious circulatory issues. There is an old saying “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”.
Your physician is your best source of information. Please talk to your doctor about any symptoms or problems you are experiencing.
Be sure to leave your comments or questions.